Trustees vote to increase room and board annual increase rate

Ball State’s Board of Trustees voted today to increase the cost of room and board for students not on the Premium Plan.

Room and board rates have increased about 3 percent annually for the past five years, according to a university press release. The board voted for those rates to rise to 3.9 percent annually.

Randy Howard, vice president of business affairs, said Ball State does all it can do to control cost.

“[Our rates are] still at or below Indiana average room and board rates,” he said. “We are offering a product of still much higher quality than our competitors.”

Rates for incoming freshman in Fall 2014 will be 4.9 percent higher than the rates were for freshman in Fall 2013, according to the press release.

Students on the Premium Plan, however, are locked into their rates and will not see a change. Joan Todd, executive director of public relations, said more than half of incoming freshmen take advantage of the Premium Plan.

A press release cited rising food and health care costs as reasons for the increase.

Rick Hall, newly appointed board president, said the culture in the finance office is geared toward delivering high quality for the lowest cost.

“These are tough economic times for a lot of Hoosiers,” Hall said. “It’s important we are sensitive to cost this incurs on families, and I think [the finance office has] done a great job.”