Timeline of revolution in Ukraine

Soldiers and Ukrainian police hold shields on the horizon Jan. 22.  PHOTO PROVIDED BY ILYA VARLAMOV
Soldiers and Ukrainian police hold shields on the horizon Jan. 22. PHOTO PROVIDED BY ILYA VARLAMOV

The protests in Ukraine have roots in events from nearly a decade ago. Here is how the situation unfolded in the country.

2004 - Viktor Yanukovych runs and initially wins. However, the Supreme Court of Ukraine orders another vote where Viktor Yushchenko wins.

2010 - Yanukovych runs for presidential office again and wins.

Nov. 21, 2013 - Protests in Kiev begin after Yanukovych accepts a bailout from Russia instead of a long-planned treaty with the European Union.

Jan. 16, 2014 - Yanukovych signs laws that increase fines and impose jail terms for unauthorized street protests.

Jan. 19, 2014 - Demonstrators attack police vehicles with rocks and firebombs in wake of the anti-protest laws. Dozens of officers and protesters are injured.

Jan. 22, 2014 – Ukrainian opposition leaders demand Yanukovych host early elections and scrap anti-protest laws after the confirmed death of at least three protesters in confrontations with police.

Jan. 23, 2014 - The United States revokes visas of Ukrainian officials linked to violence and threatened more sanctions.

Jan. 24, 2014 – Negotiations between government and the opposition begin.

Jan. 25, 2014 – Violence spreads from capital to other parts of country.

Jan. 27, 2014 - Yanukovych agrees to scrap anti-protest laws. Amnesty is proposed for arrested protesters if they stop occupying buildings and Independence Square in Kiev.

Jan. 28, 2014 - Prime Minister Mykola Azarov, one of the officials most disliked by opposition, resigns from office.

Russian President Vladimir Putin and European Union leaders meet to discuss Ukraine. Putin makes commitments of billions of dollars in aid and cheaper gas to Ukraine, regardless of leadership change.

EU leaders say Russia used unnecessary incentives and pressure to sway Ukraine’s loyalties.

Jan. 29, 2014 – Ukraine’s parliament passes a measure offering amnesty to arrested protesters if they leave occupied buildings.

Source: The Associated Press

MAIN BAR: Ukrainian BSU professor discusses his passion for governmental change
INTERACTIVE: See the geography of some of the Ukrainian protests
Q and A: Ukrainian college student speaks out about her country’s unrest
VIDEO: See more from Valerie Solodarenko