Needs of Muncie homeless rise as temperatures fall

Snow plows work to cover the roads Sunday on West University Avenue in front of the L.A. Pittenger Student Center. DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

The Christian Ministries of Delaware County extended its hours Monday and today to offer shelter from the cold.

The nonprofit, which has three locations in Muncie, offers emergency lodgings and resources.

Betty Robertson, the coordinator of the men’s shelter, said homelessness in Muncie is more extensive than most realize.

As the winter continues with minus 30 degree wind chills, Christian Ministries of Delaware County decided extend hours for Muncie residents in search of shelter.

In November, Richard Hunter arrived in Muncie with nowhere to stay. Three weeks later, he discovered Christian Ministries.

“It’s a really good thing that they got going on here,” he said. “They help out a lot of people, not just myself.”

The Christian Ministries is a nonprofit organization supported by 85 Christian organizations. Its three Muncie shelters provide emergency lodgings and services to people in need.

One of the locations that offers services to men normally operates from 6 p.m. to 8 a.m. each night from September to May, but it remained open all day Monday and will continue today because of the weather.

Betty Robertson is the coordinator for the shelter.

With a low, warm laugh, Robertson described how she became involved 14 years ago with Christian Ministries. She said she stumbled into the opportunity.

“When I came and put in an application, they started talking to me and I didn’t really know what to expect,” she said. “They said, ‘If you can raise five children, you can manage this.’ I was a manager the first year. Then after the first year, they asked me if I would be coordinator.”

To Robertson, helping others is a gift she said God bestowed on her.

She said she sees men come to her door with no hope left, but some leave with jobs, an apartment and a GED.

When Robertson began working at Christian Ministries, she didn’t realize the extent of homelessness in Muncie. She said driving up and down streets does not give actual insight.

“Jobs are very scarce and if you have any kind of felony or something like that, you’re just not going to get anywhere,” she said. “They need a place like this to help them cooperate, kind of get their minds together before they can go out and try to better their self and get back into their independence.”