‘My Little Pony’ superfans prepare to start university club

Dalton Duncan said his favorite
Dalton Duncan said his favorite

“My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic” main character bios

Twilight Sparkle
Voiced by Tara Strong
Appearance: Twilight Sparkle is a lavender pony with a horn and wings. She has purple eyes and an indigo mane and tail that contain a pink streak. She also has a magenta six-pointed star mark on top of a white star with five smaller stars around it.
Element: Magic
Twilight Sparkle is a librarian and a student of Princess Celestia. As the main protagonist of the series, she started off believing that the study of magic was more important than having friendship, which is why she was sent to Ponyville. Still, she is very talented in magic.

Rarity
Voiced by Tabitha St. Germain
Appearance: Rarity is a silver-white unicorn pony and has blue eyes and a wavy, violet mane and tail. Her mark is three cyan diamonds.
Element: Generosity
Rarity is a seamstress and a fashion designer who owns the Carousel Boutique, so she uses her magic to hold and carry items. She often tries to be the center of attention, uses more of a sophisticated vocabulary and can be dramatic. She also has the ability to sense rare gems from anywhere.

Applejack
Voiced by Ashleigh Ball
Appearance: Applejack is light orange and has no wings or a horn. Her eyes are green and she has a blonde mane and tail and wears a brown cowboy hat. Her mark is three red apples.
Element: Honesty
Applejack works and lives on an apple farm with her grandmother, her brother, her sister and her dog. As such, she has a Southern American accent. Often, Applejack is reliable and helpful, but can let her stubbornness ruin things.

Pinkie Pie
Voiced by Andrea Libman
Appearance: Pinkie Pie is a pink pony who has blue eyes and a curly pink mane and tail. She has two blue balloons with yellow strings and a yellow balloon with a blue string for a mark.
Element: Laughter
Pinkie Pie works at a bakery and likes to write and perform many songs. In the show, she is often the source of jokes. While she has a mischievous nature, she refrains from playing pranks on Fluttershy because of the pony’s sensitivity. In addition to a photographic memory, she can predict events seconds before they happen when she twitches.

Fluttershy
Voiced by Andrea Libman
Appearance: Fluttershy is a yellow pegasus and has teal eyes and a pink mane and tail. Her mark is three pink butterflies.
Element: Kindness
Fluttershy works as an animal caretaker and is, as her name suggests, very shy. Her voice is soft and she can be fearful unless her friends are in danger. This is when her stare comes in handy, as she can intimidate others into submission with just a stare. While most other pegasus ponies live in the sky, she prefers to be near the ground.

Rainbow Dash
Voiced by Ashleigh Bell
Appearance: Rainbow Dash features a rainbow-colored mane and tail, as her name suggests, and is a sky blue pegasus. She has a red, yellow and blue lightning bolt mark.
Element: Loyalty
Rainbow Dash is in charge of maintaining the weather of Ponyville. She also trains to be part of an elite flying group, and one of her flying moves is called the “Sonic Rainboom,” as she can break the sound barrier that creates a rainbow shock wave. She is more of a tomboy and can be arrogant, but is loyal as her element shows. She is the reason the others have marks, as hers first appeared after her signature move’s debut in a race for Fluttershy’s honor.

Spike
Voiced by Cathy Weseluck
Appearance: Spike is a tiny, purple and green dragon.
Element: N/A
Spike works at the library as Twilight Sparkle’s assistant, roommate and good friend. As a dragon, he is a connection point to Princess Celestia with his fire and burping delivery system. While he can be slightly mocking and laughs at others’ pain, he still helps the rest of the gang out.

Sources: “My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic”

Dalton Duncan sat silently among friends with his eyes glued to the TV. The sounds of “My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic” filled the room. For 22 minutes, he was in a MLP trance, only breaking his silence to laugh.

“So what did everyone think of the episode?” Duncan asked after the TV went black.

An avalanche of excitement took over. Talking over one another, they talked about the things they liked, loved and what could have been changed about the episode “Luna Eclipsed.”

It’s a weekly ritual for the Ball State University Bronies. Simply put, a bronie is a super fan of MLP. A bronie can be a man or a woman, old or young.

“When people think of bronies, they automatically think of men sitting around watching ‘My Little Pony’ all day,” Duncan said. “That may be true for some of us, but I’d say there are just as many women who are bronies. The term is just a way for us to recognize we all love the same thing.”

For the junior telecommunications major, being a bronie is a lot more than just watching the TV show.

Duncan started watching the show when he was depressed. MLP offered him an escape, unlike the other cartoons he watches. It introduced him to friends at college and introduced him to his girlfriend.

“The show is so lighthearted and innocent that it’s nice to just get lost in it,” he said. “When me or my girlfriend are having a bad day, we will watch an episode or two to cheer us up.”

He has seen every episode, attended conventions, bought more than $200 worth of merchandise and has every song and the remixes on his iTunes.

Duncan may be a superfan, but some bronies just like the show. Zachary Isaacs, a sophomore architecture major, started watching the show when he was a senior in high school.

After the first couple episodes, he was hooked. He has watched every episode, sometimes more than once. Isaacs hasn’t always been so open about the show, however.

“At first, I thought it was weird that I liked the show being a guy in high school,” he said. “I kept it a secret for a while. Eventually, I told my friends and made them watch an episode.”

When Isaacs came to Ball State, he became more open about his love for the show. He joined the Facebook group Ball State University Bronies and this year, he started attending the weekly meetings.

Isaacs said he is big fan of the animation. He often draws out ponies of his own and puts them on Tumblr, a popular blogging website.

“The storyline and animation are so pure and innocent,” he said. “It’s a nice break from the other cartoons floating around today.”

Even though the students meet weekly, the organization has yet to become a club. Kimberly Holtz, the group’s president, is in the process of getting the club’s constitution finalized before moving forward.

“I’m hoping to get it to be recognized by the university before Spring Semester starts,” the sophomore education major said.

Holtz started organizing meetings through the bronies’ Facebook page at the beginning of the semester. The meetings started out small, but they continue to grow with help from Isaacs’ posters and word of mouth.

The group’s adviser Kazumi Matsumoto, an assistant professor of Japanese, approached the club and was willing to help out and get the club on its feet.

Holtz is ready to get the club up and running next semester and she said she hopes more bronies will come and “brohoof,” the bronie handshake, with other students who love MLP.

“The group is just a great place to come hang out with people who love the same things we do,” Holtz said. “It’s a better place to relate with other bronies, other than the Internet.”

To find out more about the meetings, check out the bronies’ Facebook by searching Ball State University Bronies.