Investigation underway to find source of misfire

A bullet hole on Neely Avenue outside of the Student Recreation and Wellness Center resulted from an officer’s accidental discharge during the search for a reported armed assailant Friday. No one was injured. DN PHOTO COREY OHLENKAMP

An Eaton, Ind., police officer said the department is investigating the accidental firing of a gun into Neely Avenue on Friday during a search for a potential armed person in the Student Recreation and Wellness Center.

“There was an Eaton police officer there, and we had a negligent discharge of a weapon,” the officer said.

He said other than confirming an investigation, there is no other information to release at time of publication.

Eaton police were unable to comment on what repercussions, if any, the officer would face had he failed to take proper care of his firearm.

State Police Lt. Thomas Dujmovich, said the investigation will probably remain inside the department.

“I can’t speak on how that agency will deal with it,” he said. “We [each] have our own policies and procedures.”