FOOTBALL: Ball State winning with 41-10 at end of third quarter against Central Michigan

<p>DN <span class="caps">PHOTO</span> <span class="caps">MATT</span> <span class="caps">MCKINNEY</span></p>

DN PHOTO MATT MCKINNEY

THIRD QUARTER:

The Chippewas didn’t get any points, though, and instead went three-and-out and forced to punt.

Ball State started at its own 22-yard line and moved deep into Central Michigan territory. But after incomplete passes to sophomore wide receiver Jordan Williams and senior Zane Fakes, junior Scott Secor drilled a 31-yard field goal to extend Ball State’s huge lead to 34-3.

On the following possession, Central Michigan had its biggest offensive play of the game on a 59-yard reception by junior Titus Davis. Davis broke free over the middle and was eventually caught by Ball State safety Brian Jones from behind.

Another reception by Davis put Central Michigan at the 1-yard line before a gang of tacklers stopped him from scoring. Two plays later, Chippewas senior running back Zurlon Tipton scored from a yard out, cutting the Cardinals’ lead to 34-10 midway through the third quarter.

Central Michigan was hit with a sideline infraction penalty during Ball State’s next offensive drive. The next play, senior quarterback Keith Wenning hit a wide open Fakes for a 51-yard reception to the opposing 29-yard line.

Three plays later, Wenning threw his second touchdown pass of the game to junior wide receiver Willie Snead. Snead was interfered with and still managed to haul in the catch as he was falling to the ground.

The touchdown was Snead’s 12th of the season, which broke the Ball State record for touchdown catches in a season. The score also put Ball State up 41-10 late in the quarter.

SECOND QUARTER:

Smith managed to escape coverage and was wide open at the 10-yard line and easily made his way to the end zone.

Needing to get something on offense, Central Michigan University got a big offensive play after Ball State’s secondary mixed up coverage. The Chippewas’ quarterback Cooper Rush found senior Connor Odykirk for a 29-yard gain inside the Ball State 30-yard line.

The Chippewas converted a 4th-and-6 by a few inches after a completed pass to junior Courtney Williams at the Ball State 16-yard line. The visitors finally got points from a 30-yard field goal into the win, cutting Ball State’s lead to 21-3 midway through the second quarter.

Ball State responded on the following drive by getting deep into Central Michigan territory. But on a short 3rd down, Wenning under threw a slant route to junior wide receiver Willie Snead, forcing the Cardinals to settle for a 28-yard field goal.

The field goal put Ball State ahead 24-3.

The Cardinals forced its third takeaway of the half when junior defensive tackle Nick Miles forced a second fumble, which was recovered by sophomore linebacker Ben Ingle. Wenning easily converted a 4th-and-6.

On the next play, sophomore running back Horactio Banks bounced off several tacklers en route to scoring on a 25-yard touchdown run. The score put Ball State up 31-3 with 1:17 left in the half.

Central Michigan failed to get any points before halftime as Ball State led by 28 at the break.

FIRST QUARTER:

In just under four minutes, senior quarterback Keith Wenning moved the offense 75 yards for a 9-play drive that was finished off by an 8-yard touchdown pass to sophomore wide receiver Jordan Williams. The Cardinals didn’t face a third down, as Wenning went 5-for-5 with 53 yards on the opening possession.

Central Michigan’s Cooper Rush helped lead his offense into Ball State territory before he hit trouble with his throwing decisions.

Ball State senior cornerback Jeff Garrett jumped a route and picked off Rush, returning the ball to the Chippewas’ 30-yard line. On the previous play, junior cornerback Eric Patterson dropped an interception at the goal line.

Ball State couldn’t convert the takeaway into points and was stopped after trying for a 4th-and-3 from the 23-yard line. With the wind blowing from the north end zone, a field goal try was likely to get batted down by the wind.

After a quick Central Michigan possession, Ball State was forced to start from its own 4-yard line after a 77-yard punt.

Starting deep in its own territory didn’t matter, as Ball State scored its second touchdown three plays later.

First, sophomore running back Horactio Banks ran for 38 yards, which was followed by a 45-yard pass to junior wide receiver Willie Snead. The drive was capped by a 13-yard play action pass to put Ball State up 14-0.

Central Michigan again got into Ball State territory, before senior Nate Ollie recovered a fumble at the 18-yard line.