Ball State Board of Trustees begins search for firm to find successor for Gora

Ball State University President Jo Ann Gora talks to the media about her resignation on Oct. 28 at the L.A. Pittenger Student Center music lounge. Gora's replacement will likely be handled by a private search within the next eight months. DN PHOTO COREY OHELNKAMP

• The Board of Trustees have started reviewing search firms which they will use to select President Jo Ann Gora’s successor.

• Nine search firms responded to the university’s request, which was sent out Nov. 11.

• The search for will be closed, so future candidates will be anonymous.

The Board of Trustees met Friday to begin looking over nine search firms before selecting one to use to find a successor for President Jo Ann Gora, who announced her retirement for the end of June.

Firms had until Nov. 11 to respond to the university’s request, which went out Nov. 1.

The board is expecting to choose a firm by Dec. 13 and begin the closed search for a new university president. Trustees hope to select a candidate by July 1.

A closed search will mean the identities of potential candidates will not be released.

Hollis Hughes, president of the Board of Trustees, said during a press conference Oct. 28 that the board is not looking for short-term leadership. He said they are hoping to find a candidate without needing an interim president.

The hiring process to select Gora in 2004 also was private. That was the first time the board did not introduce the applicants to anyone on campus, but used a search firm and committee to select the president.

“Just about every one of the finalists were sitting chancellors or presidents,” Gora said during the same press conference. “So that leads to a closed search. …

“In the end, you want the best candidate pool possible, and a closed search is ultimately the best way to get that. In the end, it is the Board of Trustees who select the president, so their opinion is what matters.”

Hughes said they will discuss the situation more during the December meeting.