Students dress in costume, rock climb

A Ball State freshman helps a friend during Heights and Frights at the Student Wellness and Recreation Center on Oct. 30. The event had free blacklight climbing with music, door prizes and a costume contest. DN PHOTO MARCEY BURTON

“I am not afraid of heights, but I am keeping my eye on the spider because it has already scared me once.”

Kyle Specker, a junior creative writing major, said about a mechanical decoration.

The mechanical spider hanging from one of the climbing wall ropes scared participants more than dangling 36 feet in the air at the top of the wall at Outdoor Pursuit’s “Heights and Frights” Halloween event today

The mechanical spider, occasionally lowering itself from its position in the air, startled students as they prepared to climb the rock wall.

“I am not afraid of heights, but I am keeping my eye on the spider because it has already scared me once,” said Kyle Specker, a junior creative writing major.

Specker said he sees rock climbing as a way to test himself.

“Rock climbing is physically challenging, and I like that,” Specker said. “It makes me test my strength.”

He came dressed as the meth-cooking Walter White from AMC’s TV show “Breaking Bad.”

“I saw that there would be a climbing wall with a black light, and I thought to myself, ‘that sounds fun,’” Specker said.

The black light made most of the colorful climbing holes glow, making them more visible to the climbers.

The illumination was vital, said Patrick Rieth, a freshman art major. Dressed as Bane, a super villain who appears in DC comic books, Rieth needed all the added visibility he could get.

“It was very difficult to see with this mask on my face, and it also made it hard to breath, but it was worth the trouble because it was awesome to relay down the climb wall in a Bane costume,” Rieth said. “It felt like I was the actual Bane.”

Rieth started rock climbing this semester after enrolling in one of Outdoor Pursuit’s free Belay classes, a program designed to teach students how to handle the climbing wall rope, harness, and to understand the commands.

Rieth’s outfit won the event’s “scariest costume” award.

Other costume prizes categories were best individual, group and do-it-yourself costume.