AP: New York appeals court overturns Harvey Weinstein’s 2020 conviction

<p>Harvey Weinstein, third from left, leaves court in New York, Monday, Jan. 6, 2020. The disgraced movie mogul faced allegations of rape and sexual assault. <strong>(AP Photo/Seth Wenig)</strong></p>

Harvey Weinstein, third from left, leaves court in New York, Monday, Jan. 6, 2020. The disgraced movie mogul faced allegations of rape and sexual assault. (AP Photo/Seth Wenig)

New York’s highest court on Thursday overturned Harvey Weinstein’s 2020 rape conviction, finding the judge at the landmark #MeToo trial prejudiced the ex-movie mogul with “egregious” improper rulings, including a decision to let women testify about allegations that weren’t part of the case, according to the Associated Press (AP).

“We conclude that the trial court erroneously admitted testimony of uncharged, alleged prior sexual acts against persons other than the complainants of the underlying crimes,” the court’s 4-3 decision said. “The remedy for these egregious errors is a new trial.”

The court’s majority said, “it is an abuse of judicial discretion to permit untested allegations of nothing more than bad behavior that destroys a defendant’s character but sheds no light on their credibility as related to the criminal charges lodged against them.”

This story will be updated with new information. 

Contact the Daily News with comments at editor@bsudailynews.com or on Twitter @bsudailynews.