Royalty Fashion Show to kick off Homecoming events

Patrick Crouch, left, and Kathryn Brewer, right, dresses up as Allen and Baby from the movie The Hangover during the Homecoming Fashion Show held Monday evening in Pruis Hall. DN PHOTO EMMA FLYNN

After this evening, Ball State will be one step closer to knowing the potential student Homecoming kings and queens.

A total of 94 candidates from various campus organizations will kick off Homecoming events at 6:30 p.m. by parading around Pruis Hall’s stage in an assortment of themed costumes, including “The Wizard of Oz” and “Toy Story.”

“The Homecoming [Royalty] Fashion Show is our big kickoff,” said DJ Pulce, campus relations chairman for the Homecoming Steering Committee. “It gives all the royalty a chance to walk out, show who they are and have fun, and [it] gives everyone a time to be festive and get into the mood.”

The Homecoming theme for this year, “There’s No Place Like Homecoming,” has a deeper meaning for the show than “The Wizard of Oz” implication provides.

“There are people out of this country, and I’m from out of state myself,” Pulce, a junior telecommunications major, said. “We wanted it as an idea so people could either choose ‘The Wizard Of Oz’ or show how this is their home.”

Other candidates, such as sophomore Brittney Trueblood, decided to go their own route with the costumes.

“My partner and I are Jessie and Woody from ‘Toy Story,’” Trueblood said. “We decided on that because it’s a good pair costume.”

Candidates who will walk at the show have all been nominated by campus organizations, including residence halls, sororities and fraternities.

Trueblood was picked by her hall council to represent Noyer Complex.

“They just came together, decided on some people and asked me to do it,” Trueblood said.

Online voting determined the candidates that will proceed to the final 10.

Students can pick crowd favorite and best costume awards after candidates take the stage.

“I’m looking forward to having a good time with it,” Trueblood said. “The fashion show seems like the most fun thing we get to do compared to some of the interviews you do when you’re in the top 10.”