Resident Hall Association to host tailgate event

Slip-n-slide, super soakers and administrators in dunk tanks will be part of the festivities at Get Your Chirp On, the finale to Residence Hall Association’s Rock the Halls three-day event series.

Starting Saturday morning, RHA will host three different events leading to Scheumann Stadium, culminating with the pregame Get Your Chirp On tailgate.

RHA president Rachel Spudic said this year RHA is taking Rock the Halls “to the next level.”

“We haven’t done anything like this,” she said. “We wanted events that our executive board would want to attend.”

The party will begin with Get Your Gear On, including sunglasses, beads and face-painting outside of Knotts-Edward Hall. Then, students can move to Get Your Snack On, outside of Carmichael Hall, for free popcorn and cotton candy.

Finally, the tailgate event will be held at East Field behind the stadium, with giant lawn twister, zip line and tug of war in addition to other activities.

Spudic said administrators Jennifer Jones-Hall and Mitch Isaacs will be in the dunk tank, along with soon-to-be Student Government Association President Chloe Anagnos and other student leaders.

“The administrators really do love reaching out to student organizations, especially when it will be geared towards thousands of [them],” Spudic said. “They thought it was a great idea.”

The event will differ from SGA’s Countdown 2 Kickoff last weekend, although the two were originally planned and hosted by SGA executive board.

Spudic said when RHA was concerned about planning their Rock the Halls event during the same week as an SGA tailgate they decided to collaborate on the tailgate. RHA took over the responsibility and it became Get Your Chirp On.

“We all put in so much effort into the first C2K,” Spudic said. “Once it was decided RHA would do the second event SGA pulled back. WCRD and especially Ball State athletics have been wonderful to work with. They have helped us take this event and run with it.”

Spudic said they will be able to accommodate a few thousand students for the festivities between 11 a.m. and 1 p.m.