FOOTBALL: Familiarity with Army helps Ball State prepare for Saturday

Ball State and Army have certainly gotten to know each other the last few years.

The two teams will meet again for the third time in as many seasons Saturday, and the fourth time in five seasons.

The multiple meetings between the two programs has caused some familiarity between the two, which head coach Pete Lembo said can be both an advantage and a disadvantage.

“It helps that we have a little bit better idea of what to expect, but so do they,” Lembo said. “They can be a little better prepared going in.”

Every team in the college football knows what to expect from Army — the triple-option offense. Since head coach Rich Ellerson arrived at West Point, N.Y., he’s installed his run-heavy scheme that’s made the Black Knights consistently one of the top running teams in the country.

Army averaged 369.8 rushing yards per game and 4,438 total rushing yards last season. Both numbers were top in the Football Bowl Subdivision. As an offense, 806 of Army’s 921 plays were running plays.

The Black Knights have run for 402 yards and 341 yards in the last two games against the Cardinals. But the yards haven’t resulted in points, as Ball State has won both games by a combined scoring margin of 78-43.

“It’s no question it helps [Ball State has had success against Army],” Lembo said. “Our kids believe in what we’re doing, which is half the battle.”

But Ball State will line up defenders Saturday afternoon that haven’t faced Army’s triple-option before, which presents its own challenge. The inexperience means some players will have to be aware of Army’s cut blocking in its offense.

Cut blocks are a vital part of the triple-option offense. A cut block is different than a standard block, as the linemen block defenders’ legs in thighs above the knee.

Lembo said cut blocks are hard to prepare for because he doesn’t want to injure his defense in practice. The team will practice cut blocking at half or three-quarters speed to prevent any injuries to defenders during the week.

Lembo has said in the past he expects Army to run for 300 yards every game and focuses on getting points when Ball State has the ball.

The Cardinals have succeeded in getting points the last two meetings between the two schools, but it won’t make this year’s meeting any easier.

“This is definitely a big chess match this weekend,” Lembo said. “The guys just have to make sure they go out there and stick to their assignments.”