Finance Society to sell lemonade for charity before Ball State football game

The Finance Society will partner with Northwestern Mutual Financial to put on a lemonade stand at the football game Saturday to raise money for Alex’s Lemonade Stand.

The stand will be located in front of Scheumann Stadium. They will sell lemonade from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. for $1 per cup.

Alex, who the stand is named after, was a little girl who had cancer and she created a lemonade stand to pay for her own medical costs, said Daniel Boylan, faculty adviser of the Finance Society. He said Alex has since died and now the money made at the lemonade stands are given for cancer research.

“We’re the Finance Society and a lot of the things we do are very professional, so we wanted to do something that was personal," Boylan said. "We didn’t want to just talk about spreadsheets and money and stuff.”

The society's goals were to do some community service and get the students engaged in doing good things for others.

“We’ve never done it before, so we don’t even know what we’re going to do, but we’ve been told to expect about 600 cups,” Boylan said. “It’s a low impact kind of a thing; you can come, have a glass of lemonade and come and go as you please."

Nick Combs, a member of the Finance Society, found out about Alex’s Lemonade Stand through an internship with Northwestern Mutual Financial. He said his goal for the lemonade stand was to raise awareness for the charity.

“It’s got a great meaning to it; childhood cancer is something that needs to get out there to more people so that we can help prevent it,” Combs said. “We just figured that Alex’s Lemonade Stand would be a good partnering experience for us, just so that we can give back to the community.

“We want to get people to think about it and really make a change in children’s lives by giving back that money so we can help cure cancer for children. I think children are the most important part in any adult’s life and they are the future of the country.”