Welcome Week events ring in new school year

DN PHOTO ILLUSTRATION
DN PHOTO ILLUSTRATION

After a week of moving on campus and scrambling to collect textbooks, Ball State has a week geared toward acclimating new students and welcoming back returning Cardinals. 

Welcome Week, from Wednesday until Aug. 24, is a time for students to mingle and get to know their campus with activities like a visiting hypnotist to a life-sized battleship tournament.

To attend the string of events, students must bring a valid student ID and guests must pay $1 to participate.

Today, Welcome Week leaders will show new students the ropes to finding classes. Hypnotist Dan LaRosa will make an appearance, as is tradition.

On Saturday, there will be several events to break the ice. Cardinal Games will feature a series of Olympic events to get students acquainted. Commuting 101 is for commuter students to get familiar with the campus and commuter regulations. 

The Fall Activity Fair in the Student Recreation and Wellness Center, which starts at 6 p.m. Saturday, will host is a group of more than 300 student organizations to present their programs to incoming freshmen. The Vendor Fair, which will take place with the Activity Fair, is for local business and organizations to give freebies and interact with students.

In the L.A. Pittenger Student Center, the first Late Nite of the year will kick off with free food and a variety of events at 9 p.m. Saturday until 1 a.m. 

On Sunday, the Freshman Convocation will begin at 1:45 p.m., and President Jo Ann Gora will wrap up the end of week with faculty for the students. 

For the first day of classes, the University Program Board will hand out snacks between 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. Monday at the Scramble Light.

At 8 p.m. Tuesday, students can go out for a night of free bowling at Cardinal Lanes in the Student Center. There will also be a bowling call-out meeting for Ball State’s bowling team.

At 8 p.m. Wednesday in John R. Emens Auditorium, there will be a special performance free to students, Second City Improv All-Stars.

Students can share their singing talents for Open Mic Night at 9 p.m. Aug. 22 on the University Green.

To end the first week of classes, there will be a Quad Bash at 6 p.m. Aug. 23. There will be live music, food, inflatables and a showing of “Fast and Furious 6” at 9 p.m.

At 11 a.m. Aug. 24 in the Lewellen Aquatics Center, students can engage in a life-size Battleship tournament.