Contestants prepare for County Fair singing contest

Celebrity hopefuls and local musicians have sent in their tapes and are preparing to take the stage at Delaware County Fair’s Idol this week.

Thomas Rector, a fair board member, said he is reviewing DVDs and narrowing the 35 applicants down to between 20 and 25 who will sing at the semifinal round on Tuesday at 7 p.m.

“We’re doing Idol as a way for local talent to get a chance to display their abilities with a stage and audience atmosphere,” Rector said. 

He said applicants range from 10 to 57 years old and have submitted both original and covered songs in most genres of music.

“There’s just considerable talent in Delaware County,” he said. “[Idol] actually gives people the opportunity to get on stage and refine their talent and not feel intimidated by it, and I think that’s important.”

The winner will take away $1,000, so Rector said he chose judges carefully.

“We wanted to get somebody that was experienced with overall music talent, that’s the reason we sought out Jeff [Phipps] and Tim [Carney],” Rector said. “They just know talent, partially because they are two of the most incredibly talented people that I know.”

Both local artists have judged several competitions before and have performed with several famous artists. Rector said Phipps has shared the stage with Charlie Daniels, Rascal Flatts, Reba McEntire and Randy Travis.

Allison Jacob, a senior public relations major and Indy 500 princess, will also be judging. 

“I know there is a lot of hard work that goes into the judging part,” Jacob said. “I thought what a great opportunity to see how talented Delaware County is.” 

Although Jacob said she isn’t a good singer herself, she will judge for stage presence, as a public relations major.

“I think that not just having a good voice makes you a good performer,” she said. “I think there is a lot more that goes into having a presence on stage.”

Jacob said she will most likely relate to Paula Abdul’s judging style, staying positive and focusing on what contestants could do better.

“It’s a really big honor to be able to go back and give back to a community that I have become a part of the last three years through college,” she said.