Two girls get cheesy for Nicaragua

Katie Simmons and Kayla Hernandez of K&K Grilled Cheese pose beside their grilled cheese stand. The two have raised around $800 to put toward a volunteer trip to Nicaragua. PHOTO PROVIDED BY KATIE SIMMONS

On a frigid Friday, right around the time the beer-munchies set in, those prowling the streets craving salt, fat and carbs can get their fix from K&K Grilled Cheese. 

Kayla Hernandez and Katie Simmons began selling grilled cheese sandwiches on the street in late fall 2012 to raise money for a volunteer trip to Nicaragua this summer. 

By early November, they had raised around $300. Since then, Simmons and Hernandez have raised an additional $400. 

The operation has expanded and evolved since the beginning. Originally a Beechwood Avenue exclusive, K&K Grilled Cheese is now mobile, traveling to West Neely Avenue or anywhere else with heavy foot traffic. They keep hungry customers up-to-date with their changing locations through their Twitter account @BSUcheesygirls, even asking on occasion where their followers would like to see them that weekend. 

“Usually everyone is really drunk so they’re like ‘That’s such a good cause,’ and people will share their stories,” Simmons said. “We’ve made so many friends.”

The Ball State freshmen usually decide on their location the day they go out. They ask the owners of a house if they can set up in front of their party and run an extension cord from the house to power their two George Foreman Grills. 

The girls said house owners almost always comply but often request a free sandwich as compensation. 

Sandwiches cost $1 and buyers can add bacon for a little extra. Sometimes people make special requests, like extra butter or extra cheese.

The grilled cheese entrepreneurs said they may continue the project in their hometown over the summer since the trip was postponed to July from its original May date. 

While they said the grilled cheese business is tapering off somewhat, Simmons and Hernandez have other projects in motion to raise the $2,500 the trip costs, 

Simmons maintains a webpage at gofundme.com/nicaraguavolunteertrip, and the group has coordinated with Insomnia Cookies for a one-day fundraiser on April 23.

While the long term future of K&K Grilled Cheese remains up in the air, the girls have developed an affection for their means-to-an-end. 

“This is like our love,” Hernandez said.