UPDATED: Water main break fixed

Workers outside of Ball Gym trying to fix the water main break problem that occurred early Wednesday morning. PHOTO MATTHEW AMARO

Water service has been restored to the Administration Building, Lucina Hall, West Quad, and Ball Gym, according to texts and emails sent by the university. 

No water service was available until about 2 p.m. Wednesday in those buildings. 

The break was discovered shortly after 8 a.m. in front of the east doors of Ball Gym, Vic Caleca, media relations manager said.

A clamp has been put on the broken pipeline to get it back up and running, Kevin Kenyon, associate vice president of facilites, said. 

Classes have continued and offices have remained open in the affected buildings.

The restrooms in these buildings were unusable until the problem was fixed.

Faculty with classes as well as supervisors with staff in the buildings should be flexible in allowing brief delays to class and longer breaks for staff, according to the Ball State website.

Employees with special accommodations should work with their supervisors.

A water break problem happens from time to time on campus, Kenyon said.

“I think in the last few years we’ve replaced a lot of piping so it’s not as common as it used to be but it still happens,” he said. “It seems it’s been a few years since we’ve had a major water line break that shut down service to buildings.”

Problems with broken pipes are preventable, Kenyon said.

“When they [pipelines] get to be a certain age, they are scheduled for replacement,” he said. “It’s just a matter of having time and money to do it. It can be prevented if you replace piping regularly.”

Check back to bsudaily.com for more updates.