Top 10 most dangerous Spring Break spots

Forget slathering on the SPF, you might want to strap on a bulletproof vest instead if you’re planning to travel to any of these areas. A study by legal-research organization Avvo rated areas by looking at a variety of violent crime risks, such as murder and rape, and fatal car crashes and deaths to determine the deadliest vacation cities. Of the top ten most dangerous, Florida accounts for five of the cities where a hangover could be the least of your worries.

1) Orlando, Fla. 

Yes, the home of Disney World proves to be the diciest of destinations. The study found that this city has double the amount of violent crime risk than any of the other Spring Break cities. 

2) Daytona Beach, Fla. 

Dubbed by a local Fla. newspaper as “Florida’s Rape Capital,” this shoreline is at least 21 percent worse than the average of the other cities. 

3) Las Vegas, Nev. 

Sin City, though experiencing a 13 percent drop in crime in 2012, has made recent headlines with a car-to-car shoot out, a movie theater parking lot shooting and an elevator stabbing. If you’re heading to the Strip, keep your “wolf pack” close.

4) Myrtle Beach, SC 

According to the Myrtle Beach crime index, released annually by police, show that violent crimes have increased by 31 incidents in 2012.

5) West Palm Beach, Fla. 

According to the city’s 2012 annual crime report, arson, homicide larceny and robbery have gone up for the year. But breathe easy because aggravated assaults, auto theft, burglaries and sex offenses have dropped. 

6) South Padre Island, Texas 

According to Avvo’s data, South Padre Island has the highest rape rate among all other cities surveyed. 

7) New Orleans, La. 

New Orleans has the highest murder rate with over eight times the average of most other destination spots.

8) Panama City, Fla. 

9) Jacksonville, Fla.

10) Miami, Fla.

BY THE NUMBERS

Last year, the Business and Professional Regulation, Alcohol Beverage and Tobacco division confiscated 20,000 fake IDs in Panama City and Daytona alone.

In the four-week Spring Break period, there were 2,000 arrests in Panama City and Daytona to individuals age 15-21 in 2012.

According to the Journal of American College Health, the average male reported consuming 18 drinks per day and the average female reported 10 drinks per day during Spring Break. About half of them drank until they got sick or passed out at least once during their break. 

SOURCE: drugfreenoblecounty.org