Student photographs lost gloves in hopes of entertaining

Sophomore telecommunication sales major Skyler Bevins poses for a photo Jan. 11, 2013 in the David Letterman Communication and Media Building. Bevins enjoys photographing lost gloves and putting the photos on the Internet. DN PHOTO TAYLOR IRBY

Skyler Blevins loves lost gloves. He even has a Facebook album dedicated to them.

The sophomore telecommunication sales major’s adoration of entertaining people through video blogging and YouTube videos has formed into a creative pastime. Rather than strolling by a stray glove on the ground, Blevins captures a cellphone picture and documents it on social media sites such as Facebook and Twitter.

“It puts a smile on my face,” Blevins said. “I can bring happiness to people by just posting pictures of gloves.”

Blevins’ glove antic started two years ago while walking with a friend. He found a glove on the ground and shouted, “Oh, there it is! I’ve been looking for that!” The joke has been ongoing ever since. 

“I don’t go out searching for them,” Blevins said. “If I see one I just take a picture. In the winter months, I see at least one everyday.”

This one-time occurrence turned into a consistent amusement for this member of Ball State’s improv comedy group ABSO. 

“It has become a part of my humor,” he said. “Some people are kind of weirded out by it but I don’t care what they think.” 

Blevins posts the pictures in his Facebook album titled, “Oh, there’s my glove.” 

Aside from physically “liking” these missing glove photos on social networking sites, Blevins’ Facebook friends enjoy his humorous act and often tell him how it brightens their day. 

Blevins’ friend Jimmy Guerrero finds his glove joke just as amusing. It has even rubbed off on him. 

“I send a picture to Skyler anytime I see a glove,” Guerrero said. “I say, ‘Hey, there’s your glove!’”

Although it started as an entertaining encounter, Blevins said it has become more of a hobby. 

Whether it be biking gloves, half gloves, mittens or children’s gloves, Blevins doesn’t have a preference. He has come across all types whether physically or virtually. 

“I was playing Words with Friends and somebody wrote ‘glove,’” Blevins said. “I thought it was funny, so I had to put that in my Facebook album.”

Recording 50 gloves in his Facebook album, Blevins estimates finding more than 100 gloves. 

Although he does not keep these hand warmers or give them to missing item collections, he has pondered the thought.

“I don’t know where they have been,” Blevins said. “Most of them are dirty and you never know if someone left it there for a reason.”

Walking on a busy campus, Blevins has discovered other miscellaneous items like scarves, hats and even a thong. 

While strolling to his car one day, Blevins realized his own glove was missing. 

“I found it very ironic,” Blevins said.

Although there is no rhyme or reason for this glove detector, he compares it to stumbling upon something most people search for.    

“When I’m not looking, they normally pop-up,” Blevins said. “Just like love.”