ONE-MAN SHOW

Juggler Mark Nizer to perform at Emens

Juggler Mark Nizer uses more than just his hands to toss objects into the air. He uses his legs, arms, knees, back, elbows and even his face.  

Whether it is juggling ping pong balls with his mouth or burning propane tanks with his hands, Nizer turns everyday products into a one-man show. 

Tonight in John R. Emens Auditorium, the juggling extraordinaire will combine the art of juggling with interactive videos, flying, multicolored lasers and more. 

In addition to juggling, Nizer incorporates iPhone technology into his act. The application Siri is the host of Nizer’s show. The two interact throughout the presentation and begin building a relationship. 

Nizer has recently introduced 4-D into his act through a technique called color shift. This approach uses light and color to give the audience the 4-D illusion. Glasses are used to exemplify the audience’s 4-D experience. 

“Mark Nizer is very innovative,” said Sherri Contos, Emens Auditorium’s associate director of marketing. “He creates new tricks and technologies. He juggles things that you wouldn’t think were possible, but he is able to pull it off.”

There is more to Nizer’s act than just his juggling talent. He is an award-winning comedian who incorporates that additional talent into his acts. 

“Juggling is entertaining for about 10 minutes,” Nizer said. “If you don’t have something else, then it’s not enough. Humor is key to making a great show.” 

When Nizer was 13, his mother enrolled him and his two siblings in a juggling class. 

“My mother thought my siblings and I had too much energy,” he said. “She figured it would keep us busy, and it sure did.”

Starting with typical juggling items, Nizer continued to work his was up to riskier items. 

“My first dangerous item was probably a cat,” he said with a chuckle. “I was a little kid; I didn’t know any better.”

After the feline failure, he decided to move onto heavier materials, such as propane tanks. 

“I worked at a hardware store, and I would juggle all of the crazy stuff laying around,” he said. 

To perfect his pattern and technique, Nizer practices at the University of Virginia’s indoor baseball stadium.

Mustering the courage to juggle risky items doesn’t take long for Nizer; he said he believes it takes patience and dedication.  

“As you start doing it more, things start to slow down,” he said. “The perception is that I just did something crazy, but in my mind, I slow it down and practice. I like to get used to it.”

Nizer’s juggling ability has brought him a few minor injuries as well. He has had many back injuries from jumping around on stage and performing acrobatics. He recalled one special injury he will always remember. 

“One time, I was getting on my unicycle and one of the volunteers was helping me,” he said. “As I was running onto the stage, my hand was snagged and put my finger in the chain of the unicycle. The pedal turned and clipped my finger.”

Nizer turned the incident into a joke, put a piece of duct tape on it and got right back to the show.  

Each night, before he sprints on stage, he said he tries to invent new ways to make the show funnier or more exciting for the audience. 

“I am always trying to upgrade the show,” Nizer said. “I encourage people to come out and enjoy the performance. It is more than just a guy juggling on stage; it is stand-up comedy with a story line and a technical explosion.”

Who: Mark Nizer

When: 7 p.m. 

Where: John R. Emens Auditorium

Cost: $5 for Ball State students and children, $10 for adults