UPDATE: Man who died outside greek house identified

A man who died outside of a greek house last week has been identified as a former chapter adviser and member of the alumni board of directors.

Scott Hahn, Delaware County coroner, said the man has been identified as 42-year-old Christopher Spall. He died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

University Police Department and Muncie Police Department responded to the death, which occurred outside the Phi Sigma Kappa fraternity house on Riverside Avenue on July 5.

Spall was a former Phi Sigma Kappa chapter adviser, said Zach Hartley, Ball State Interfraternity Council president.

Hahn said Spall was a graduate of Anderson University.

Spall had been "going through some family problems" before his death, Hahn said.

Jennifer Pierce, program coordinator for the Office of Student Life, said the university's main concern is with fraternity members.

"My role is to make sure the current members there have access to the resources they need in terms of housing and counselling and complying with their national office," Pierce said.

Hartley, said the situation is being handled by the university and the fraternity chapter.

Tony Proudfoot, associate vice president of Marketing and Communications, said Spall began taking classes at the university in 1987 and took classes as recently as 2000, and was most recently a chapter adviser for Phi Sigma Kappa in 2009.

"Phi Sigma Kappa is a recognized student organization and a member of the Interfraternity Council. They are in good standing with the university," Proudfoot said via email. "Our role is educate the fraternity on best practices and to partner with the organization to support its success and adherence to university policies."

Operations, policies and staffing of the organization are not determined by the university, since the Phi Sigma Kappa house is not university property. These decisions are made by the national organization of which they are a chapter, said Proudfoot.