Robert Bell, InQsit lab undergo renovations

Robert Bell is getting a new look this summer, as well as becoming the university's centralized testing lab.

Student's walking through the Robert Bell Building might have noticed a few changes: no inQsit testing lab and a few busted walls in the Computer Services office. That's because the lab is about to get a face-lift.

"In RB Main, which includes the inQsit lab, adaptive computer technology lab for disability and the main lab; what we're doing is we're renovating that area, that large area, to make one larger computer lab with, I think, it's either going to be 135 or 142 work stations and that will be a testing lab as well as a general lab throughout the year," Dan Lutz, director of Unified Technology Support, said.

That's not the only thing that students should look forward to next year. Plans are underway to extend testing hours during midterms and finals as well.

"We're doing it so that we can have a centralized lab for testing and we're thinking of opening it for midterms and finals for 24/7 for tests," he said. "We did a test this last finals week where we ran RB Main open 24/7 from Wednesday at 8 a.m. until Friday at 5 p.m.; we were open 24/7."

The University Computer Services are also having some new additions add to their locations.

"Those are what I would call smaller renovation projects," said Jim Lowe, director of Engineering, Construction and Operations. "It's actually creating a few offices for [University Computing Services]. UCS has the need to install a couple of additional offices. We're just working with them to make sure we make and create the offices that are necessary for whatever need they have."

Computer operator analyst of UCS, Noah Taylor, noticed a few differences in the standing area in the main office right away.

"They're actually moving that area into here, so they're cutting out this door and we used to have a door on this side as part of our offices, so that's all sealed off now," Taylor said. "So this is going to just be the adaptive learning center for people to come into."

Taylor said the Robert Bell Building will serve as a home to new and old operations, some permanent and some temporary.

"There are telephone operators that are over in Noyer and they're actually going to be taking up permanent residence here," Taylor said. "The iCare group that's actually over in the Teachers College is actually just temporarily here while they're renovating that over there. They'll actually be leaving again."

Although the project isn't officially underway, Lutz feels a bid for the construction could be coming soon.

"I think the bids are due Friday and we'll know more on Monday or Tuesday about whether it's a go or no go on the job," Lutz said. "I have a feeling that it will be, but I really just can't say for sure."