UPD looks for help in debit card theft

EDITOR'S NOTE: This story has been updated from it's original version to reflect that the student whose card was stolen believes the incident took place at the Student Recreation and Wellness Center, not the Atrium. A photo caption in Thursday's edition of the Daily News indicated the woman suspected of stealing the credit card had been seen at the Atrium. The photo was actually taken from a surveillance camera at a local clothing store.

University Police Department is asking Ball State students and faculty to help apprehend a woman who charged nearly $300 onto a stolen debit card.

According to a UPD police report, at approximately 3:50 p.m. Thursday, officer Travis Stephens was dispatched to the Atrium food court in reference to a theft.

The victim, Kimberly Collins, is a student employee in the Atrium. Collins came into work at 10 a.m. on Thursday and placed her purse in the employee locker room located in the kitchen area. Collins got off work at 2 p.m., and at approximately 3 p.m., she realized both her debit and credit cards were missing from her purse.

Before going to work, Collins went to the Student Recreation and Wellness Center. UPD detective David Huff said he believes this is where the cards were stolen.

UPD detective Kent Kurtz said they respond to anywhere between 150 and 175 theft cases each year. Citing a recent case where UPD tracked down a missing iPhone, Kurtz said they were able to track the phone to Indianapolis and recover it.

"The main thing for us is we just need something to follow-up on," Kurtz said.

Kurtz said the stolen card was used at several different locations by an unidentified woman. UPD said the woman may be a Ball State student, and it is urging the university community to contact the department if they have any information regarding the case or the woman's identity.