Students to learn about economy at screening

Freshman Connections will be sponsoring a screening of the film "What is the Economy for Anyway?" tonight at 7 p.m. in L.A. Pittenger Student Center Cardinal Hall A.

In the film, a monologue about today's American society, economist David Batker presents comparisons to the performance of the U.S. economy to that of other industrial countries. Batker's comparsions mainly look at which countries provide a higher quality life.

Melinda Messineo, associate professor of sociology and director of Freshmen Connections, said Batker talks about other models of measurement that could increase happiness, which isn't related to the economy.

"The DVD discusses the way our economy is set up and encourages us to rethink the way we value growth and GDP," Messineo said in an email.

Messineo said the funny and easy nature of the film will allow students to become more engaged and interested in the subject.

"[Students] will be entering this economy, and it will impact their lives in meaningful ways," Messineo said. "It is important that they understand what is going on and that there are alternative ways to conceptualize it."

The film screening is part of the "Pursuit of Happiness Week," which is being sponsored by Freshman Connections.

-รก