HEALTH NUT: Is organic right for you?

As you scour the aisles of your local grocery store, you may encounter food terms such as natural, processed, whole and organic. But what do they all mean?

Natural is defined by the Food and Drug Administration as foods that are free of synthetic preservatives, artificial sweeteners, colors, flavors, growth hormones, antibiotics, hydrogenated oils, stabilizers and emulsifiers. Although natural foods may not be healthier, those with food allergies may find they are able to consume natural foods without agitating symptoms.

Processed or unprocessed are two terms present on different food labels. Processed is defined as food that has "undergone a change of character." To help you better understand what that means, a head of lettuce would be considered unprocessed, while the pre-cut and pre-washed salad in a bag would be considered processed.

Whole is another term you may run into. There is not a standard definition of what is considered whole, but it usually refers to foods that aren't processed, refined or have any extra ingredients. Whole foods are typically meat, fish, fresh fruits, vegetables and whole grains. If you see the term "whole grain," this means that the grain has not been stripped away of any of its original parts, and has all the wonderful vitamins and minerals.

So what about organic? If a food is labeled as organic, it follows rules set by the U.S. Department of Agriculture's National Organic Program. Organic food is grown without synthetic pesticides, bio-engineered genes, petroleum-based fertilizers, ionizing radiation and sewage sludge-based fertilizers. In regards to meat, the animals cannot be given antibiotics or growth hormones. In order to achieve "organic" status, a government-approved certifier must inspect the farm.

There are three levels of organic claims. The first is 100 percent organic, in which products are completely organic or made from organic ingredients. The second is organic, in which 95 percent of the product is made from organic ingredients. The third is made with organic ingredients, in which at least 70 percent of the ingredients are organic.

However, the question remains if organic means healthier. While many studies found both organic and non-organic food are similar in their nutrient content, a few studies found higher levels of some minerals and vitamins in organic fruits and vegetables. Levels of pesticide residues tend to be lower in organically produced foods. Keep in mind, the USDA has established levels of how much pesticide residue can be present in products. If any products have too much, they are not allowed to be sold. Neither conventional nor organic products exceed these levels.

Food that is natural or organic tends to be more expensive than conventionally grown food. When it comes to your personal food budget, you must decide if it is worth the cost or not. Eating an apple will always trump eating a bag of chips in terms of health. And always check the nutrition facts to see if the food is healthy.

-รก