A Spring Break trip with one tank of gas

Discover some alternative and cheap trips you can take this break

Road trips aren't about piling into dad's oak-paneled station wagon, strapping a kayak to the roof and rolling Griswald-style across America anymore. As a college student, limitations can be a hitch, but a road trip on one tank of gas can be the ticket to an unconventional, inexpensive get-away.

The Math

Assuming the vehicle isn't a Hummer or Smart Car, the average vehicle can hold around 14.5 gallons of gas, and according to the U.S Department of Energy the average car also gets around 21.5 miles to the gallon. Fill up the tank and from Speedway to your destination you have 311.75 miles of boundless terrain to cover. The one tank challenge is simple: fill up and go forth.

Destination:

Bluespring Caverns

Bedford, Indiana

Distance: 144 miles

Aptly an Indiana Jones-esque destination. Bluespring Caverns is home to the nation's longest known subterranean river and has a network of caverns stretching 21 miles. Discovered in the early 19th century, the caverns are a hub of exploration and spelunking. Boat tours through the underground Myst'ry River and walking tours through the caverns are offered to visitors. Just watch out for snakes and giant boulders.

On the way:

Yorktown

6.5 miles from Muncie

River Valley Paintball Inc.

With 20 acres for paintball game-play, it is a worthy stop and still within Delaware County limits. It includes 10 themed areas known as concept fields, in which the field is set up for certain game scenarios. Equipment rentals are available. Trick friends into carpooling, and then show-off your paintball skills on the field.

Anderson

18.8 miles from Muncie

Good's Candy Shop

It's the Wonka Chocolate Factory without the ominousness of oompa-loompa's. Good's Candy Shop features one-of-a-kind assortments and home-made ice cream and boasts as "Central Indiana's largest chocolate selection." Guided tours of the candy factory are only $2.00 admission. Chocolate oddities sold range from milk chocolate grand pianos and dinosaurs.

Carmel

52.2 miles from Muncie

Museum of Miniature Houses

What would a road trip be without a quirky pit stop. Sans the world's largest ball of yarn, this museum serves as an interesting oddity. Tours are $5 a person. It's a little less "tea-party" and a little more "Ripley's Believe It or Not!"

Indianapolis

61.6 miles from Muncie

Indianapolis Zoo

Walk through the four corners of the earth, with four different biomes — each holding creatures that ranging from tigers to dolphins all in downtown Indy. The ocean exhibit features the county's largest shark touch-pool, where visitors can reach out and freely pet roving sharks. Admission is $9.50 per person.

Indiana State Museum

From the beginnings of the state to the origins of the earth, the exhibitions are a wide scope. With the museum's Ice Age exhibit and the ancient cave simulator, let your road trip take you not only in distance but also in time — 10,000 years ago that is. Modern art galleries and an IMAX theater add a little of the 21st century to the mix as well. Tickets are $7.00 per visitor.

Downtown

Indianapolis is a mecca of meshing cultures, and the cuisine reflects it. Asian delicacies and sushi are available at the Bistro Chopstix, and The Bosphorus Istanbul Cafe gives a unique window into the Mediterranean taste. The Broad Ripple Village is a downtown strip that is full of shops, cafes, restaurants, dance clubs, live music venues and nightlife ventures.

The Indy Hostel

Hostels aren't only for backpacking through Europe. Just 20 minutes from Broad Ripple Village, rates range from $26 for a single dorm bed to $56 for the private suite, the price is right. Plus, an exercise trail runs through the property, and indoor amenities include a community kitchen, a library and a laundry room. There are also events at the hostel, such as yoga sessions, art shows and live music.

Franklin

85.5 miles from Muncie

World's Largest Rocking Chair

Cementing the fact that Indiana is an odd place, we are home to "the world's largest rocking chair," aptly named "Big John." Planted off highway US 31 in front of a furniture store, it stands at over 30 feet tall and has a matching dresser.

Martinsville

95 miles from Muncie

Gold Panning at Morgan Monroe State Park

A few found flakes may get a few more gallons in the tank. The grounds itself include three lakes, camping grounds and 24,000 acres worth of hiking.

Bloomington

117 miles from Muncie

Little Tibet

The Tibetan Mongolian Buddhist Cultural center, as well as two other temple sites in the area, is open to the public, no robes required. Cheaper than transcontinental airfare, it is abounding with ordinate temples, architecture, garden sites, cultural artifacts, ethnic cuisine, and meditation and yoga workshops. If it's good enough for frequent visitor the 14th Dalai Lama, then it's worth the pit stop.