New shop sells cupcakes for $1.11 on opening day

A new restaurant in University Square, cardinal cupcakes & coneys, attracted several people throughout during its grand opening day with cupcakes for $1.11.

Owner Melissa Bucur said between 8 a.m. and 2 p.m., more than 200 people showed up.

Bucur, a Ball State alumna, said she has always enjoyed baking.

"This is a business that Muncie does not have, which is why I wanted to contribute," she said.

Having the advantage of being a former Cardinal, Bucur has seen the current change in the Village.

"As a student here, the Village was hopping with business," Bucur said. "We even had a Buffalo Wild Wings. When I came back to the area, the Village has very few things to offer students, which is why I want to help bring back what it once was."

Not only does cardinal cupcakes & coneys sell cupcakes, but they also have muffins, coneys, coffee and chips. Bucur said they will soon offer soft pretzels.

Kristian Addington, sophomore nursing major, said cardinal cupcakes & coneys is a really good idea and she never imagined cupcakes and coneys together.

"School food gets so boring sometimes, and it's nice to get diversity that is close by," she said.

Cardinal cupcakes and coneys employee and junior nursing major Stephanie Tarrent said the restaurant was busy for most of the day.

"We had a few people in for coffee and muffins in the morning, and from 11a.m. till 2 p.m. there was a line wrapped around the store," she said.

Cardinal cupcakes & coneys will be open Monday through Friday. They serve New England coffee and muffins from 8 a.m. to 11 a.m. and cupcakes and a full menu from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m.