FROM THE OTHER SIDE: Sacrificing safety for sales isn't worth the price

Evie Lichtenwalter is a sophomore news journalism major and writes "On the Other Side" for the Daily News. Her views do not necessarily agree with those of the newspaper. Write to Evie at emlichtenwal@bsu.edu.

A few days from now, hundreds of people will fill the parking lots and line the sidewalks of nearly every major shopping center in the country. Clamoring to be the first ones through the doors, they will begin lining up hours before stores are even slated to open, finalizing their plan of attack. Some will even sell their spots in line to those who are eager and willing to pay the price.

Once again, Black Friday is upon us.

The Washington post reported that nearly 74 million American consumers plan on participating in Black Friday shopping. That's more than the amount of people who voted for President Barack Obama in the last election.

Having never found an interest in fighting my way through hordes of people just to scoop up the best holiday deals in the wee hours of the morning, I've politely declined, and at times, outright refused, to participate in such foolishness.

This year, though, I have no choice. This year, I work in retail.

I've heard enough horror stories in the news and from co-workers and friends to warrant a healthy amount of fear.

I mean, don't get me wrong; I enjoy my job. I like the people I work with, my shifts are convenient, and well, a paycheck is a paycheck, regardless of where it's coming from.

I'm still a little terrified of Black Friday.

In 2008, CNN reported the incident of a Walmart employee in New York who was trampled by a crowd of Black Friday shoppers as the store doors were being opened. According to the report, it took police and workers several minutes to even reach the employee due to the oncoming crowds refusal to stop. The man was later pronounced dead.

It's incidents like this one that truly terrify me. A man died because these people were so obsessed with getting the best deals; they barely noticed they had just trampled an innocent person.

Now, I'm not saying that I feel like my life is in danger in any way, or that something of that caliber is common, because it isn't. What I am worried about is the distance that some will go to get the best deals.

Is a flat screen television, some gaming system or a KitchenAid mixer really worth endangering the lives of others?

I guess I just don't get it. Why is it that as a society we have such an obsession with shopping? In-store, online, over-the-phone. The quicker the better, but any opportunity we have to get the brand new whatever, we take full advantage of it.

I'm not saying I'm not the same way. I'm a slave to my iPhone and all things Apple, and I tend to not hesitate purchasing something that they create.

I just can't see myself waiting in line for hours and hours just to be the first person inside so I can get my hands on the best deal.

And I can't see myself shoving my way past other people, or being outright violent, all for the sake of consumerism.

If you are one of the millions of Americans who are estimated to participate in Black Friday shopping, may I make a suggestion?

Before you rush though the open doors, destined for electronics, toys or what have you, stop for a second, take a deep breath and think about what you're about to do.

And then after you have successfully thought through what you are about to do, and are confident with your decision, then by all means: onward!