FOOTBALL: Eight Cardinals named All-MAC

Baker, Morris earn first-team honors

Safety Sean Baker and linebacker Aaron Morris were both named first team All-Mid-American Conference, leading a group of eight Ball State players who were named to one of three all-conference teams announced by the MAC on Wednesday.

Offensive lineman Jordan Hansel, wide receiver Briggs Orsbon, linebacker Travis Freeman, defensive tackle and wide receiver Jamill Smith were named to the second team. Smith was honored as a punt returner. Punter Scott Kovanda was named to the third team. Of the Cardinals honored, only Baker had been named All-MAC before. He earned second-team honors last year.

Baker made 95 tackles, the third most on the team. He made two interceptions, adding to Ball State's career record, which he set last year. Morris made 115 tackles, second only to

Freeman at Ball State. He had two sacks and forced three fumbles.

It is the first time since 2008 that Ball State has had any player named first team All-MAC.

The MAC also announced its specialty award winners. Northern Illinois quarterback Chandler Harnish won the Vern Smith Leadership Award and Offensive Player of the Year honors. Western Michigan defensive lineman Drew Nowak was named Defensive Player of the Year, Ohio kicker Matt Weller took home Special Teams Player of the Year and Bowling Green running back Anthon Samuel was named Freshman of the Year.

Eastern Michigan coach Ron English was named Coach of the Year after leading the Eagles to their first six-win season since 1995. There had been some speculation that Ball State coach Pete Lembo might have been in the mix for the award after getting the Cardinals to bowl eligibility in his first season, but ultimately that couldn't eclipse the turnaround engineered by English.