All tickets for Letterman, Maddow distributed in less than a day

Tickets for David Letterman's conversation with Rachel Maddow sold out about six hours after they became available.

All the tickets were distributed by approximately 3 p.m. Thursday, said Tom Taylor, vice president for Enrollment, Marketing and Communications.

Tickets were available to students, faculty and the general public on a first come, first serve basis. Last year the general public couldn't attend, but Taylor said the university allowed anyone to attend this year since the conversation and filming for Maddow's show is at 4 p.m. The show will take place on Dec. 2.

"This is only our second experience, frankly, I wasn't quite sure what would happen with it being kind of an odd hour," he said. "Part of the reason we ended up with 4 in the afternoon is because Ms. Maddow needs to do her show, and we're excited about the fact she's going to broadcast it from here on Ball State. So we weren't quite sure what that would do in terms of demand."

Taylor said in addition to tickets being available to the general public, there was a higher demand likely because students find Maddow interesting and because the program is building from last year's success.

People with tickets who know they won't be able to attend the conversation are encouraged to return their tickets to the Emens Box Office, Taylor said. The university will alert students before it redistributes tickets if and when enough are returned to the Emens Box Office.