Steering Committee: Lily Barker

What began as an idea nearly eight months ago has finally been put into action.

The university's Homecoming Steering Committee began planning this week's events in February, thanks in large part to junior public relations major Lily Barker.

Barker originally became involved in the program after the urging of a friend who was already a member of the committee.

"She really gave me a lot of guidance," Barker said.

Now she's the committee's general chairwoman, meaning it is her responsibility to make sure that all Homecoming events go smoothly and as planned.

Although this is a positive experience that Barker is happy to have, she said that there have certainly been struggles involved in the process, the main one being the establishment of leadership.

She said that one of the biggest issues has been having to be a "rule enforcer" as well as a friend. Being younger than many other people on the committee, Barker said that she sees that as just another obstacle to overcome.

The selection process for committee members begins in late January or early February of Spring Semester. Prospective students are required to complete an application as well as schedule an interview with the general chair and four advisors of the committee. This year's committee consists of 16 members.

With many of her close friends being members of the committee, Barker said it can sometimes be difficult to separate personal relationships from work relationships, but her friends who are involved with the committee understand that these relationships need to be separated.

All in all, Barker said she is happy with being able to be a part of the committee.

"It definitely had a lot of interesting experiences that I wouldn't get from being in class or from any other student organization," she said.