Local children 'rock' out in Muncie Civic, Cornerstone Center Musical

This Friday will be the debut performance of "Schoolhouse Rock LIVE! Jr." sponsored by the Muncie Civic Theatre and the Cornerstone Center for the Arts.

Friday's performance will take place at 7:30 at the Cornerstone Center for The Arts in the Edmund Burke Ball Auditorium.

Based off of the 1970s Emmy Award-winning cartoon series, "Schoolhouse Rock LIVE! Jr." features a nervous school teacher trying to relax before his first day of class. While watching TV, different characters show him how to win over his students with songs such as "Just a Bill" and "Conjunction Junction."

The cast is made up of members of the center's Youth Theatre Program and consists of 46 children, ranging in age from four to 16.

"This is the largest show that we have had for a Muncie Civic/Cornerstone show in a very, very long time," said director Tonya Kunkel in one of Muncie Civic's promotional videos.

The show runs Friday and Saturday at 7:30 p.m. The Saturday and Sunday matinees begin at 2 p.m. Tickets are $5.

There will also be a free encore presentation of the musical July 29 and 30 on the East Lawn as a part of Minnetrista's Summer Stage Fest.

For more information or to purchase advance tickets, visit Muncie Civic's website at www.munciecivic.org.