Hundreds beat heat at Family Fundae

Hundreds fought the sweltering temperatures Sunday afternoon by celebrating National Ice Cream Day.

WGE Federal Credit Union and WIPB-TV sponsored the third annual Family Fundae at Minnetrista, which included a variety of contests, door prizes from local businesses, performances and a meet and greet with The Cat in The Hat.

Debbie Lundin of Dayton, Ohio and her husband brought their two children, ages 1 and 3, to the event.

"It's been great so far," she said. "[It's] unfortunate that it's so hot, but I guess that's what the ice cream is for."

Lundin said she used to work for WIPB-TV, which peaked her interest in coming to the event. She said her family took this weekend to enjoy the perks of Muncie, including the Muncie Children's Museum as well as the Family Fundae event.

There was no entrance fee, but patrons could purchase $5 tickets that gave them 10 ice cream tastes from participating businesses such as Concannon's Bakery Cafe, Dairy Queen, Baskin-Robbins, Dairy Dream of Albany and Jerry's Dairy Freezer of Parker City.

Entertainment for the event was provided by Harry, the host of "Cyberchase!," one of PBS Kids' popular children's shows. His act included juggling, and dancing and teaching the medium-sized group of children fun math games and the basics of DNA.

Northside Middle School sixth grader Teanna Phipps said Harry's performance was her favorite part of the event.

"I really liked the ice cream, too," she said. "Especially the chocolate brownie flavor."

Her mother, Sunshine Phipps, originally heard about the event through WIPB-TV.

"I thought it would be something thing fun to do with my daughter," she said.