Downtown offers summer attractions

The fun of a summer in Muncie isn't limited to bars in the Village.

Between classes and bar hopping from Dill Street to the Locker Room, students should remember the activities downtown, which aren't always limited to those over 21.

Cheryl Crowder, program director for Downtown Development, said Free Movie Friday is one of her favorite activities.

"It has been a truly heartwarming experience to see families enjoying their downtown together week after week," she said. "Going to the movies as a family simply is not feasible to many of our audience members."

Friday night movies are shown in the 400 block of South Walnut Street at dusk throughout the summer. Various not-for-profit organizations help pay for the movies and provide concessions. A portion of the snack and beverage sales goes back to the organization, according to the Muncie Downtown website.

Downtown Muncie allows more than just free movies.

Docs Music Hall holds various activities for those 18 years and older throughout the week.

Freaky Tiki Friday is another downtown attraction. It's located in the 200 block of South Walnut Street next to the Blue Bottle and features food, live music and drinks for those over 21.

In early August, the smells of RibFest will permeate downtown, starting at the intersection of Walnut and Charles streets. The festival will take place Aug. 6 and 7.