Homecoming committee application deadline extended

Students have until 4 p.m. Friday to apply to be a part of the Homecoming 2011 Steering Committee.

The deadline for applications was pushed back to Friday because of the weather on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Between 12 and 18 steering committee members will be selected to work on the events for Homecoming Week. More positions can be created for students with certain skills such as extreme interest in sports or technology skills, Kate Webber, homecoming steering meeting adviser, said.

Students must be enrolled at Ball State during the Fall 2011 Semester, have a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher and have interest in planning special events to apply. Students should also have good communication and organizational skills.

About 30 to 40 students have applied so far. Interviews for general chairman will take place on Feb. 9, and all other position interviews will be on Feb. 16 and Feb. 17.

The steering committee will begin meeting weekly at the beginning of March through the end of the spring semester.

Webber said being part of the homecoming steering committee is a priceless experience.

"All of our past committee members say it is the best thing that they ever did at Ball State," she said. "It is truly like an immersive learning program because you do spend a lot of time here with us, but you do get a lot of experience being on the event committee."

Applications can be found and printed off at bsu.edu/alumni/homecoming. Applications need to be turned in the Alumni Association office on the second floor of the Alumni Center by 4 p.m. Friday.