FOOTBALL: Northern Illinois jumps out to big lead against Ball State

Huskies lead 16-7 after one quarter

DeKalb, Ill – For one series Ball State University looked like a changed team after their bye week.

Ball State marched 79 yards down the field for a touchdown on the opening drive at Northern Illinois University for a 7-0 lead two minutes into the game.

The Huskies then scored 16 unanswered points, as the Cardinals looked more like the team that has lost eight games this year.

Northern Illinois scored a touchdown on their first drive of the game. Backup quarterback DeMarcus Grady found senior Preston Williams in the back of the end zone for a 10-yard touchdown. It was the first reception of Williams' career.

On the ensuing possession, Ball State started deep in its own territory and never got out. The series began with a delay of game penalty and also included a false start that nullified a fumble that rolled into the end zone.

The Cardinals really would fumble on the next play. Tanner Justice was sacked and fumbled into the end zone. MiQuale Lewis would fall on it, but the Huskies got the safety.

Northern Illinois added another score with three minutes remaining in the quarter when Chad Spann had a nine-yard rush for his 17th touchdown of the year.

Continue to check bsudailynews.com for updates throughout the game and read Friday's issue of The Ball State Daily News online for full coverage of the action.