Senators approve elections board

SGA chooses 7 diverse people to oversee presidential slates

Election season is gearing up as the Ball State University Student Government Association approved the 2008 elections board in its Wednesday meeting.

Elections board Chairman Kyle Johnson said the board's job was to make sure the SGA elections go smoothly, fairly and the slates follow the bylaws.

SGA President Betsy Mills said she was excited about the seven-person group and it was diverse in every way.

"I'm really, really confident about this board," she said, "and I think they'll run a great election."

Mills said the people were involved in various aspects of campus and knew things about elections since the members have been elected officials in other organizations.

"The diversity is brilliant," Mills said. "They all have different backgrounds and majors, and they have a strong moral fiber. I'm confident the student body would approve."

Meet the elections board

Jeff NovoloPosition: Voting memberYear: SeniorMajor: Sports educationFavorite TV show and movie: "Entourage" and "Finding Forrester"Favorite music: Classic RockFavorite color: BlueSomething he likes about Ball State: The way the campus looked before the leaves fall.Something he dislikes about Ball State: Parking Services.What it means to be on the elections board: It is a good opportunity to get involved with SGA and make sure those who run for office are held accountable.Campus involvement: A member of Sigma PhiEpsilon fraternity and the men's tennis team manager

Marco Pretell-VazquezPosition: TreasurerYear: SeniorMajor: International businessFavorite TV show and movie: "Lost" and "Kill Bill"Favorite music: September, a Swedish bandFavorite color: GreenSomething he likes about Ball State: The people on campus. Something he dislikes about Ball State: The roads What it means to be on the elections board: It is important to have another group elected that is as good as, if not better than, U.N.I.T.E.D. Initiative.Campus involvement: Vice president of the Latino Student Union, is in SGA and Alpha Kappa Psi

Ashley FordPosition: SheriffYear: juniorMajor: English educationFavorite TV show and movie: "Golden Girls" and "Juno"Favorite music: Kenny Loggins' "Highway to the Danger Zone"Favorite color: GreenSomething she likes about Ball State: She loves working at Student Voluntary Services.Something she dislikes about Ball State: She does not like how she does not get money back from meal cards.What it means to be on the elections board: She said she liked the process of holding people to the rules and regulations.Campus involvement: Vice president of Student Voluntary Services

Dave StudinskiPosition: Debate coordinatorYear: Graduate studentMajor: Telecommunications graduate studentFavorite TV show and movie: "West Wing" and "Orange County"Favorite color: OrangeSomething he likes about Ball State: The friendly nature of the student body. Something he dislikes about Ball State: The lack of continuous school spirit.What it means to be on the elections board: He is looking forward to serving from the government standpoint. He can publicize the elections more and get more students involved and aware.Campus involvement: A TCOM graduate assistant, he is a Daily News columnist and was the former Daily News editor in chief for two years.

Starla Loyd Position: SecretaryYear: JuniorMajor: telecommunicationsFavorite TV show and movie: "The MiXx" and "Knocked Up" and "Superbad"Favorite music: old school and R&BFavorite color: royal purple and pinkSomething she likes about Ball State: Students can be involved in anything Something she dislikes about Ball State: She wishes the Multicultural Center was in the 10-year agenda to be remodeled.What it means to be on the elections board: She likes the chance to make sure everything runs correctly and fairly.Campus involvement: Vice president of the Black Student Association and the executive producer of The MiXx.

Abby FoltzPosition: Voting memberYear: juniorMajor: Speech pathology and audiologyFavorite TV show and movie: "Entourage" and she enjoys too many moviesFavorite music: The James Brown Car Alarm, a local Muncie bandFavorite color: Dark purpleSomething she likes about Ball State: Her department because the teachers are good.Something she dislikes about Ball State: How it seems Education Redefined excludes some departments. What it means to be on the elections board: She is excited to see what the job entails and gets a different view of what happens in SGA.Campus involvement: President of Chi Omega sorority

Kyle JohnsonPosition: Chairman Year: Senior Major: Political scienceFavorite TV show and movie: "Family Guy" and he has no favoritesFavorite music: EverythingFavorite color: BlueSomething he likes about Ball State: Student Voluntary Services and SGASomething he dislikes about Ball State: Nothing specific comes to mind.What it means to be on the elections board: It is an honor and he looks forward to getting more involved with SGA. He said he hoped to have a fair and smooth election.Campus involvement: The SGA representative for Student Voluntary Services because he is on the SVS executive board