MEN'S VOLLEYBALL: Autographs bring attendance

Associate AD says community interest grows with promotion

Playing the No. 3 ranked team in the nation, the Ball State University men's volleyball team is expecting to have a large crowd, especially with what's taking place after the match.

Ball State's home-opener Friday against No. 3 Penn State University will be the team's first of four autograph poster nights this season. Following the match, people in attendance will receive a team poster and have the opportunity to get that poster signed by every Cardinal player on the active roster.

"Our priority is to generate excitement and interest in men's volleyball here," associate athletic director Matt Wolfert said. "It allows us to reach out to the community and gives an extra reason to come to a game even though you don't really need a great reason because it's Penn State."

Last season Ball State averaged 614 people in attendance per match. However, three of the team's four autograph poster nights drew more than 1,000 people to the match.

Libero Ian Peckler said better size crowds usually come out for the autograph poster nights and he's optimistic the Cardinals will get a large turnout for Friday's match.

"It's the first one of the year and I'm hoping a lot of people come out," he said. "Hopefully they will like what they see and come back."

During the 2006-2007 school year, the men's volleyball team had the fourth highest attendance average of Ball State's 18 athletics teams.

Wolfert said he has been happy with the attendance and thinks through promotions like the autograph poster night the attendance can increase.

"Between men's and women's volleyball they both have the foundation, especially in Delaware County and central Indiana to be well-attended sports," Wolfert said. "We would love to continue to get that higher and grow that environment."

In addition to the attendance increase, coach Joel Walton said he enjoys having the autograph poster night because it's a good opportunity for the community to get to know his team better.

"It's a chance for people to connect with our team and get to know them and see that we have a great group of young men representing Ball State athletics," Walton said.

Wolfert said doing these autograph sessions has been a good experience for the team and the entire Ball State athletics department.

"It helps create a good environment and it's good outreach for our kids to just have some community relations," he said

Ball State enters Friday's match already having lost to Penn State earlier this season at the Outrigger Invitational Jan. 5 in Hawaii.

However, the Cardinals have a two-match winning streak on autograph poster night dating back to last season, with wins against then-No. 9 Pacific University and then-No. 6 Ohio State University.

Despite enjoying the ability to interact with fans, Peckler said the autograph poster night is always more enjoyable for the team after a win.

"None of us want to sit there after a loss," he said. "It's just no fun."