Around the MAC

Ball StateThe MAC coaches predicted Ball State and Western Michigan to win the conference's men's tennis championship this year.

The Cardinals and Broncos tied for first place in the vote, though Ball State received three votes to win the conference tournament while Western Michigan received one.

Northern Illinois was predicted to finish third and Toledo was predicted to finish fourth in the poll. Buffalo was chosen to finish fifth while Chicago State was predicted to finish out the standings at sixth.

The Cardinals begin their season Friday at Illinois.

Akron

Akron will have a ceremony Thursday to honor its mascot Zippy for winning the 2007 Capital One Mascot of the Year.

The ceremony will take place about 10 minutes before Akron's men's basketball game against Ohio, which begins at 9 p.m. The game will be broadcast on ESPNU.

At halftime, Akron will also honor its 2006-2007 student athletes of the year, its 2007 Fall Dean's List members and student athletes with at least a 3.0 GPA.

The women's basketball team will also have its alumni weekend as part of the week's events.

Bowling Green

Senior Whitney Taylor set a Bowling Green record when she made eight consecutive 3-pointers Wednesday against Kent State.

The eight consecutive 3-pointers was a single-game record for the Falcons.

Taylor also remained perfect in MAC play as she hit all 12 of her 3-pointers this season. For the game, she was 10 of 11 with 28 points.

The Falcons won the game against the Golden Flashes 90-64 to earn their first road win in conference play. The win improved the Falcons to 3-0 in the MAC and 14-3 overall.

Buffalo

After winning the MAC coach of the year award, Turner Gill was given a contract extension through the 2012 season by Buffalo.

The third-year coach led the Bulls to a 5-3 record in the MAC last season and tied for the MAC East Division championship. The five overall wins were the most by the Bulls since they moved to Division I-A football in 1999. It was also Buffalo's best record since joining the MAC.

Buffalo also had eight players earn All-MAC honors after having seven total in the previous eight years in the conference.

Western Michigan

On the same day its men's tennis team was picked to win the conference, the MAC coaches predicted the women's tennis team to finish second this season.

The Broncos also received three votes, the most in the MAC, as the favorite to win the conference tournament.

The coaches predicted Buffalo to win the MAC in their preseason poll and the Bulls received two votes to win the tournament.Ball State was predicted to finish seventh in the poll, ahead of Northern Illinois and Akron. Miami, Eastern Michigan, Toledo and Bowling Green were predicted to finish third through sixth.