Major leagues begin

Student priorities changed for start of baseball season

To fans of Major League Baseball, the start of the season marks a time when priorities start to slightly change. After all, baseball isn't referred to as America's favorite pastime for nothing.

Monday was the MLB's official opening day, and Ball State students are ready to root for their favorite teams while also trying to balance their studies.

As the season starts, here's a look at some of the most popular teams on Ball State's campus and how some students are willing to support their team.-á

REDS

"I'll skip class if the [Cincinnati] Reds and [Chicago] Cubs or [St. Louis] Cardinals are on," junior international business major Mike Tester said. Tester, a Reds fan, said he will make time in his day if the Reds are on TV.

Tester wasn't in his afternoon classes Monday when Carlos Zambrano and the Cubs lost to Ken Griffey, Jr. and the Reds on WGN and ESPN 2, 5-1.

Tester thinks the Reds have a good shot of taking the National League Central crown this year.

"I think Arroyo and Griffey will carry the team if they're healthy," he said.

CARDINALS

On Sunday, the Cardinals lost to the Mets, but Cory Sly, a junior sports administration major, said he hopes the Cardinals can repeat as World Series Champions. But, he said, it is going to depend on the pitching. He said the arms of Adam Wainwright, Braden Looper and Anthony Reyes will be a key to the Cardinals' success.

The pitching staff is led by former Cy Young winner Chris Carpenter, who Sly is predicting to win between 18 and 20 games this year, he said.

The Cardinals' offense is still potent, although some players are getting older and so health is in question, he said.

"I think Edmonds can still produce," Sly said. "It depends on him being healthy."

Sly said the start of the season isn't that important because of the 162-game schedule. There are some games early on that Sly won't miss, but there are classes he will miss, he said.

CUBS

The Cubs, who finished last in the National League Central last season with a 66-96 record, have made some changes that have put them in talks about winning the World Series.

The acquiring of 40/40 man Alfonso Soriano marked the biggest contract in Chicago Cubs history: an eight-year, $136 million deal.

Jon Adkins, senior computer technology major, thinks giving the team to Lou Pinella is the best move they made, though.

"It's all about Lou," he said. "But baseball's a good replacement and gives me a reason not to go to class," he said.

Jordan Burkholder, sophomore business management major, said he thinks the Cubs will finish second in the NL Central to the Cardinals this year.

Burkholder said there are a lot of afternoon games that conflict with classes.

"I try to catch as many games as possible," he said. "Games are always on in the afternoon especially."-á

YANKEES

Clay Johnson, senior operations management major, said his team, the New York Yankees, needs to get some more pitching and get Alex Rodriguez's mind right.

The Yankees, who finished atop the American League East last season with a 97-65 record, had some issues with Rodriguez at third base as well as at the plate during clutch situations. Johnson hopes, especially, that Rodriguez gets his fielding under control.

"I hope ARod isn't ERod this year," he said.

Rodriguez, who tied a career-high with 24 errors last season, went 1 for 14 with 0 RBIs in last season's National League Divisional Series with the Detroit Tigers, contributing to the Yankees' series loss.

Johnson said he will probably skip class to watch some games, especially when the Yankees are on. -á

RED SOX

Freshman architecture major Jon Kirby hopes the Boston Red Sox will win their division this year. The Red Sox, who failed to make the playoffs last season, acquired Japanese pitcher Daisuke Matsuzaka this year, who is expected to have instant success.

Matt Segal, former Ball State sports administration major, said any time a team invests over $100 million in a player, they think he can be highly successful in the big leagues.

Segal said this is just one example to prove that major league baseball is a diverse game.

"It shows it's an international league," he said. "It is intriguing for fans."

Kirby said the Red Sox offense should be strong again this year.

"The offense should be good with Ortiz, Manny and J.D. Drew," he said.