MEN'S GOLF: BSU continues slump with high second round scores

Ball State in 15th after two rounds of tournament play

With 80-degree weather, the Chenal Country Club in Little Rock, Ark., was primed and ready to go for the UALR Collegiate Invitational. The Ball State's men's golf team, however, was not, coach Mike Fleck said.

After 36 holes, the Cardinals find themselves in 15th place out of 17 teams. Shooting a 301 in the first round and a 298 in the second round, the Cardinals have a team-combined score of 599. Lamar University, which shot a 277 in the first 18 holes, leads with a score of 549.

Although Fleck believes his team isn't playing poorly, he is mystified by what he is seeing on the scoreboard.

"I am having a real hard time trying to figure out what we are doing," Fleck said. "It's not that we aren't playing poor, we just aren't shooting the numbers we should be."

Today concludes the UALR Collegiate Invitational with the final 18 holes of play. Currently senior C.D. Hockersmith leads the Cardinals with a score of 148, shooting a 75 and 73 in the first and second rounds respectively. Sophomore Brian Maurer is right behind Hockersmith with a first and second round score of 149.

"If you look at the leaderboard, the teams that are getting it done are the teams under par," Fleck said. "We were just way off pace."