Vigil to recognize domestic violence

Victims services office creates ceremony to raise awareness

Students don't typically talk about domestic violence because of its sensitive nature, a victims advocate said; but a candlelight vigil at University Green will give members of the Ball State University and Muncie communities a chance to discuss the topic.

The vigil will be held from 6:30 p.m. until about 8:30 p.m. at University Green in recognition of Domestic Violence Awareness Month. Participants can talk about their experiences with domestic violence or be there to support those who need it, Michele Cole, victims advocate for Ball State's Office of Victim Services, said.

"Anytime we can raise awareness for domestic violence it is a good thing," she said.

The event has been held at other places around downtown Muncie, but this is the first time it has been held at Ball State, Katie O'Bryan, graduate assistant for Cole, said.

"Ball State is a good place to have a vigil because it's a place where students can talk about the sensitive topic," she said.

O'Bryan has worked for two years as a victims advocate with the Muncie Police Department, and she said the vigil was a way to help show her support.

"The whole purpose of the event is for everyone to get together and support one another," she said. "Some people go to support the victims, and others go to tell their story. It's sometimes easier to share if you are talking about your situation with others who support you."

The candlelight vigil is put together by the Office of Victim Services and is in collaboration with A Better Way, a local residential shelter for victims of domestic violence, in Muncie, Cole said. The office was created to raise awareness of the issues regarding violence and was funded by a $200,000 grant from the U.S. Department of Justice, Cole said.

The office wanted to put together a couple events and the vigil is one of them, she said. From 1:30 p.m. until 2:30 p.m. Tuesday in Room 301 of the L.A. Pittenger Student Center is a domestic violence panel discussion led by Muncie Deputy Prosecutor Mark McKinney, she said.

"The panel is another opportunity for domestic violence survivors to get their stories heard," Cole said.

Planning for the event has taken a couple months and has involved communication among A Better Way, Ball State and the Muncie Police Department, O'Bryan said.

"Hopefully those who come will be more aware because everyone can support the cause," she said.