Jobs, classes keep students in Muncie for summer

As cars wait the 20 seconds for the Scramble Light to change, chances are not even 20 people pass through the intersection.

During the second week of May, Ball State University's campus could have been confused for a ghost town - deserted save for the contracted construction crews and the occasional jogger.

But this week, the university has been revived, to some extent. It's the time of year students generally return to their hometowns or spend time travelling, but some students find reasons to stay in Muncie.

Michael Haynes, director of academic advising, said students stay in town during the summer for several reasons, including the need to catch up on classes.

"Sometimes it's as simple as students having 12-month leases, and they're trying to use their time more productively," he said.

Senior Julie Boyle said she is doing just that. Boyle is enrolled in two classes while finishing out her Muncie lease.

One of Boyle's classes, a course on film analysis, is only offered during the summer and counts toward her major's art history requirement.

Other students stay in Muncie to complete internships or take advantage of work opportunities.

Boyle's roommate, senior Lynda Klueh, is complementing her visual communications major by doing an internship with Minnetrista Cultural Center.

"Since I'm in Muncie this summer, I wanted to see what it was like to work off campus," Klueh said.

Graduate student George Keller is taking two painting classes as well as helping to redesign dens at Minnetrista.

"I'm doing my graduate work for landscape architecture, and you're not supposed to get internships until your second year of the program, but I couldn't turn it down, if only for the experience," Keller said.

Some students who decide to stay in Muncie must find jobs in the area. Many take advantage of university-provided jobs when so few students are on campus.

"The library is always desperately looking for people during the summer months," Jennifer Criss, periodical, reserve and microforms coordinator, said. "Days are slower, but we're still here to provide our services."

The university computer lab in Bracken has experienced a similar decline in student employees.

"I'm working at UCS and trying to find another job on campus," junior Tyler Bright said. "There aren't many people in there."

With fewer students on campus, more than just the library is empty.

Junior Alyssa Freeman said the streets and sidewalks were much less congested.

"I'm not constantly bumping into anyone," Freeman said. "It's nice to not have to worry about being run over by a car."