MEN'S VOLLEYBALL: Ball State ready to welcome

Cardinals routed inexperienced team in previous meeting

The Ball State University men's volleyball team will play the Central State Marauders tonight in Worthen Arena. The Marauders, a team in its first year of organized competitive volleyball, will become Division I next season. The game will give the Cardinals a chance to compete against some younger players.

"This is a chance for people to be exposed to Ball State volleyball and for us to expand the interest in the sport," coach Joel Walton said. "We're giving Central State a chance to play a high-caliber team."

The last time these two squads met was Feb. 7, when the Cardinals dismantled the Marauders 3-0 (30-2, 30-5, 30-6). During the meeting, many Ball State players set personal and team records. Six Cardinal players had hitting percentages over .600, with four hitting 1.000. Two standouts were junior Mark Rumschik and freshman Carlos Ramos, hitting 12-of-15 and 8-of-8, respectively. As a team, Ball State hit .755 while Central State hit a smoldering -.105.

Hoping to mirror that performance, Ball State brings a 16-5 record (5-4 Midwestern Intercollegiate Volleyball Association), compared with Central State's winless record. The Marauders haven't won a single game this season. The Cardinals have won 48.

In the last game between the two teams, the leader for the Marauders was Gemayle Pullins with two kills on three attempts.