TRACK: Cards finish second at MAC Championships

McCoy sets new Ball State record in pentathlon

The Ball State University women's indoor track and field team finished up their season this weekend with a second place finish at the Mid-American Conference championships.

With the Cardinals trailing 35 -+ - 35 following Friday's portion of the meet the Cardinals continued to battle Saturday, but fell short in the final segment of the meet. Akron tallied a final score of 118.50, while Ball State had 105, followed in third place by Western Michigan with 75.75.

Coach Sue Parks said she was happy with the effort the team gave but added that the team is not fully content with the result.

"It was a very tight meet the whole way," Parks said. "I am pleased with the way that we competed but the team is not satisfied with 2nd place and we are excited about carrying this momentum into the outdoor season where we will have another chance to challenge for the title."

Ball State competed without injured distance runners Rose Lehe and Amanda Ponsot, who had a combined 14 points in last year's MAC championship.

Distance star Jill Scully stood out once again this week and defended her titles in the 3,000 (9:44.49) and 5,000 (16:42.66) meters. In addition to 3K and 5K titles she also finished 2nd in the mile (4:54.52) and was named to the All-MAC First Team.

Amber Williams added a trio of impressive finishes in her events as well. Williams received second place in the 60 hurdles (8.27), 60 dash (7.47) and 200 (24.52), respectively. Other Cardinal highlights included Terri Abraham's second place finish in the long jump (20-05) as well as triple jump (41-01), both personal records, and Jennifer McCoy's second place finish, also a new school record, in the pentathlon with a score of 3,739.

Abraham and Williams travel to Notre Dame, March 3-4 for the Alex Wilson Invitational to improve upon their respective national qualifying marks.

"All in all it was one the most fun competitions I had the opportunity to be involved with," assistant coach Todd Lane said. "The team motivated each other, performed like champions, and rallied around each other."