SWIMMING IN BROKEN GLASS: Daniels' cigarette tax insults Hoosier youth

Of all the initiatives proposed in his State of the State address Jan. 11, the one that has netted Gov. Mitch Daniels the most attention - perhaps even controversy - is his proposal to increase the tax on cigarettes by 25 cents per pack.

"We weigh, drink and smoke too much and exercise too little," Daniels said to applause. "But no single step we could take would matter more than reducing the percentage of Hoosiers, particularly young Hoosiers, who smoke cigarettes. All the evidence shows that the most effective way to deter young smokers is at the cash register. I ask this Assembly to raise Indiana's lowest-in-the-Midwest cigarette tax by at least 25 cents a pack."

There are many different angles from which to approach Daniels' proposal. The first question many have asked is, "Where's this money going?" According to the Indianapolis Star, Daniels administration officials estimate that the tax increase would generate somewhere between $115 million and $150 million.

From a different angle, dedicated conservatives might want to take another look at My Man Mitch. What kind of Republican serves up calls for tax increases in his first two State of the State addresses? Isn't that a bit like a vegan eating an entire bucket of KFC?

Another approach would be to pore through the mountains of literature, studies and arguments to determine if it's really "all the evidence" that supports Daniels' contention that upping the tax will dramatically improve Hoosier health. What are the side effects of raising cigarette taxes? Libertarian commentators and economists have tackled this issue and pointed out numerous shortcomings, including increased cigarette smuggling. For example, Don Mathews, an economics professor at Coastal Georgia Community College, points out an unintended effect of increased cigarette taxes in the free market: Yes, people smoke fewer cigarettes, but the cigarettes they do smoke are those with more tar and nicotine.

A perspective from the left would point out the regressive nature of the tax - it will affect the poor much more than the rich.

With as much merit as these ideas and arguments have, one element of My Man Mitch's suggestion should leap out to us the most. Thirteen words: "The most effective way to deter young smokers is at the cash register."

Excuse me? Is My Man Mitch trying to be My Parent Mitch? He's talking about us - the 18- to 25-year-olds of Indiana. Apparently, we are unable to realize for ourselves that smoking cigarettes is a lethal activity. No, we need Big Brother government stepping in to save us from ourselves.

The act of taxing cigarettes is not bad in and of itself. It would be OK if Daniels simply spelled it out as, "Hey, here's more than 100 million dollars a year we could use to better Indiana." Instead, he's presented it as, "Our young Hoosiers don't know what's good for them, but we do. So, let's try to change their behavior by raising taxes."

Sorry, but I don't like government attempts to influence my behavior.

Unfortunately for Daniels, the cigarette initiative is unlikely to become law. According to Indiana Rep. Charlie Brown - a strong proponent of the tax - he sees little chance of the tax passing.

Daniels' conservative supporters should be especially concerned as far as his commitments to limited government go.

Ultimately, though, we as Indiana's youth should walk away from this State of the State with a degree of skepticism about My Man Mitch's respect for us.