Village faces more changes

Cafe moves into old Blimpie's building, Karma heads out

The face of The Village continues to change, with businesses moving out and moving in.

The Village will see another addition to the business lineup. TJ's Cafe, located at 1623 W. University Ave., plans to open in the old Blimpie's building next to La Bamba's. One of the owners, Tom Bray, said this is not his first business, and he's hopes to stick around in The Village.

"It's one thing to get people to come once; the challenge is getting them to come back," Bray said.

He has accepted applications since last week and said he will have onsite training. He hopes to have everything ready by Monday of next week. He said if not then, definitely in two weeks. The restaurant plans to serve hot dogs, loose meat sandwiches and soft drinks. He considered serving beer but decided the liabilities would be too high, Bray said.

Besides new additions, a familiar place will change locations to be closer in The Village. CBX Bookstore will move from its location on McKinley Avenue to the the former building that housed Roly Poly and the Blue Bottle, Scott Ronnau, store manager, said.

"This is better for students since it's across from T.I.S.," Ronnau said. "It's only a block difference so there shouldn't be a change in business."

CBX has remained in the same building since 1965 and plans to relocate in February or March of 2005. Construction began in January of this year and should be finished by January of 2005. The lease for the building will expire in August of next year. He said that at the beginning of the spring semester the business will operate out of the old building. The new merchandise and books will not be transferred until later.

"The open space will be helpful during the beginning rush and buy back, because the lines in the old building we hard to navigate," Ronnau said.

He said it will feature new equipments and more clothing. It has 5,100 square feet ground level, with 4,225 square feet of sales floor with 875 square feet in the back room for storage and utilities. The move will also include the more than 30 parking spots behind the building, instead of the handful that were available on the side of the building, Ronnau said.

"This change for CBX is exciting for everyone; there has been a rise in the energy level in the store," he said.

Change also brings the beginning and ending of businesses in The Village as well. Karma Records is the second business in two weeks to close its doors. It relocated to the Village in August to be closer to the student population. Scott Lindell, store manager, could not be reached for comment.

Another business that also opened in August but is still around is Elements. It offers a variety of gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender books, cauldrons, herbs and resin, as well as more mainstream items like candles, office distractions, jewelry and novelties. The owners, Leo and Carolyn Stellwag, always wanted to open a business like this, Carloyn Stellwag said. However, they felt the competition was stiff and the expense would be too much and have seen potential to bring Elements to The Village.

"We bring people together and not even on purpose," Carolyn Stellwag said. "There will be shoppers in here looking at things, and then they'll go to the mt cup and hang out for the rest of the day,"

Contributions by staff reporter Charles Schelle