Search meetings could be closed

Ball State Trustee Frank Bracken said Thursday that he expectsthe presidential-search committee's meetings to remain closedduring its deliberations.

"It's not a committee of, you know, a lot of public discussionand things," Bracken said.

Meanwhile, on Thursday, the university awaited word of who wouldhelp find a replacement for President Blaine Brownell, who willleave the university after Jan. 31.

Board President Tom DeWeese said Tuesday that he hoped to namethe entire committee by either Wednesday afternoon or Thursdaymorning.

According to his wife, DeWeese went out of town Thursday andcould not be reached for comment.

When it is formed, the entire committee will decide whatinformation should be public and when, Bracken said.

"It's a tricky thing," Bracken said. "There's no question thatthe (university) has a legitimate interest in the committee'sprogress."

But, he said, candidates with jobs in other positions will notwant their names published prematurely.

"That doesn't sit too well with where they are," Brackensaid.

The committee that helped find Brownell also had closedmeetings, but professor Nancy Carlson, who served on the committee,said she doesn't remember hearing any complaints.

Also, she said, candidates for the presidency remarked on howdemocratic the committee was.

Carlson served on the 1999 committee because of her position aschairwoman of University Senate, a position which professor MarilyBuck now holds.

Buck -- along with trustees Greg Schenkel, Hollis Hughes andBracken -- will serve on the current committee, but those are theonly names DeWeese has released.

DeWeese also said he would name a student to the board. TheStudent Government Association president, then Jamey Davidson,served on the previous committee.

But the current president, Jayson Manship, said he has not heardfrom DeWeese.

"I've heard nothing," Manship said. "He hasn't called and askedfor a name."

About 13 members will make up the committee, and faculty andtrustees will hold most of the seats.

The trustees will meet tomorrow at 1:30 p.m. for its Novembermeeting, but Schenkel said he doesn't expect the board to hold anyformal discussions about the search committee.

Also, the agenda does not allot any time for discussion.

DeWeese did say on Tuesday that the board might discuss the needfor an interim president during the board's executive session at 10a.m.