OUR VIEW: Ball State's new 'president'

AT ISSUE: If Provost Pitts performs duties as BSU president, she deserves to have that title

The search for Ball State University's new president isbeginning. The Board of Trustees said it hopes to have itscandidate in office by July 1st.

But in the interim, the board chose Provost and Vice Presidentof Student Affairs Beverley Pitts to step in and assume PresidentBlaine Brownell's duties when he leaves the university after Jan.31.

Though Pitts is taking Brownell's position and will be doingeverything and anything he would have done for the university, theboard did not give her his title.

Pitts, by accepting the position, will make the search forBrownell's succeeding president simpler. Instead of having tosecure an interim president during the selection process, the boardwill rely on Pitts to do the job a university president would. Ontop of her new duties, she will also continue her work as provostand vice president of academic affairs.

But because Pitts will be the functioning face of theuniversity, even if her role is temporary, she deserves to have thetitle of president added to her name.

By giving her the title, the Board of Trustees can acknowledgethe outstanding work she has done, and will be doing, for theuniversity. They can give her the respect she's earned throughouther career at Ball State. They can call her what she will be.

She is the first female provost and vice president at BallState. E. Jean Amman, assistant to the provost at Ball State, said,"Dr. Pitts broke the glass ceiling for women at Ball State." Pittswon the Athena Award for 2003 for her work with women andleadership. She has secured millions of dollars for the universitythrough grants. She won the 2003 Women's Equality Day Award inEducation. Now, her assumption of the "presidency" will meetanother Ball State need.

After Brownell leaves, Pitts will be doing the work of a BallState president. She should be doing the work as Ball State'spresident.