LETTER: Drunk or not, McKinney didn't deserve to die

Dear Editor:

I cannot begin to fathom how some people can try to justify thatan unarmed boy was murdered by a police officer simply because hewas intoxicated. No matter how much scorn one might feel toward aninebriated individual, no person deserves to be killed over drunkenconfusion -- especially on a college campus. Some people have alsocalled McKinney a burglar, yet not many burglaries I am familiarwith have featured a perpetrator that announced his presence bybanging on the victim's door for 20 minutes before burglarizing theproperty.

Further, while I realize that the majority of police officerstruly do serve the public, there must be a way to weed out thosewho do not belong. If we have an officer on the force that was soterrified for his life when confronted by a drunk student that hefelt compelled to pump four bullets into the young man's chest,then there is a problem with the selection process.

I have to count myself and the hundreds of other friends I hadat Ball State lucky that none of us encountered an officer likethat after having a few drinks and ending up lost on campus. I justhope a serious and truthful inquiry follows -- instead of smearingthe victim for drinking too much. Unless more facts come to light,this officer should be handed over to the prosecutor and face thesame charges any other citizen would face after murdering anunarmed man for trespassing.

Grant Wilson

alumnus